Thursday, November 21, 2013

S T R E E T S M A R T : Plaids and Pleats



 It's a universal agreement that white cotton dresses are for summer, and flannel plaid is for winter. Anytime the weather gets colder, I dream of preppy plaid patterns, layers and hats and scarves. I came across not one but two plaid wool skirts the other day and it's been too warm to even think about them until now. 

Plaid skirts remind me of old fashioned 'matronly' sort of women (in a good way!)... and matronly reminds me of Ulyana Sergeenko, the prima donna of matronly. She owns the mid to full length skirt territory, and turns frumpy into очень cute.



Since Ulyana's rise on the internet fashion scene, I have been unwittingly searching for mid to full length skirts, and lucky for me plaid ones are the perfect kind, plus they are usually made very well. The two I found were both pleated which adds to the volume factor, especially when walking. I like wearing them with a fitted shirt, ankle boots and a scarf, but really anything will do.


Short Plaid Skirt
Long Plaid Skirt


Other plaid skirt looks...






Check out Barnaby's plaid skirts at more at the shop!