Monday, March 4, 2013

A D A Y I N T H E L I F E: Shop Lucilles

As an Etsy shop owner and shopper, I peruse through Etsy listings and shops quite often. Once in a while I come across a shop that strikes my fancy - Shop Lucilles is one of them.  




Straight out of Portland, Maine, Shop Lucilles sells vintage clothing, accessories, some housewares and handmade items, too. I had the pleasure of asking the shop owners (vintage duo Caiti and Jess) a few questions:

How did you start selling on Etsy?  

Jess- I started selling on Etsy by myself a few years ago because my love for vintage was just getting a bit out of control. I would be at a thrift store and find something AMAZING and buy it even if it wasn't my size. I just wanted to own a little piece of beautiful history! So once that collection got a bit out of hand, I started selling.

Caiti - Well my business partner previously sold on etsy, I just sort of tagged along.

What decade are you most inspired by?

Caiti - I'm in love with the forties. I'm a huge fan of the tailored, nipped in at the waist silhouette. Women's sportswear from the 40's is fabulous too.

Jess - This is a hard question! haha I really love the 1940s. I tend to emulate the 40s and 50s the most in how I dress. But it's also hard to rule out the 20s and 30s... whenever I want to feel re-inspired by fashion those tend to be the eras I look at. The lines & details on clothing were just incredible back then. 

Is there any past fashion trend you wish would come back?

Caiti - I wouldn't really call it a trend but I wish the tradition of dressing in "Sunday's best" and strolling through town would make a come back.

Jess - This is sort of silly, but I wish men stlll wore hats. Not baseball hats, but dashing fedoras & such. I kind of blame that on watching Mad Men. Watching Don Draper put on a hat made me swoon a bit. 

What have been some of your most exciting vintage finds?

Caiti - A trash bag of clothing! 

Jess - Seriously, a garbage bag FULL OF CLOTHING! We were at an auction and they held up one of this big black hefty bags and said "I think it might be curtains...?" and we bid on it on a whim. We got it for ridiculously cheap, then realized it was full of 1920s & 30s clothing. It was the most incredible thing ever. 

Is there any advice you would give to other Etsy shop owners?

Caiti - I would say do your research, vintagefashionguild.org/ and sammydvintage.com/ are excellent resources. Also try to put up at least one item a day. Haveing that continual stream of newly listed items really makes a difference.

Jess - Learn to date your items correctly. I think it's misleading to label something as 1940s when it's clearly from the 1960s. Also, try to have good communication with your customers. It's pretty infuriating as a buyer to be in the dark about questions that you have... try to put yourself in their shoes and be as accomodating as you can.
 I can now say that I will NEVER turn down a mysterious garbage bag full of fabric.  Thank you Caiti and Jess!
 

 __________________________________________________


You can see Caiti and Jess's shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/shoplucilles
Also, visit their blog at shoplucilles.blogspot.com
Or you can check out their website at www.lucilles.me 


Here are some of my favorite items at Shop Lucilles:


Awesome Deadstock Sunglasses


Vintage Little Black Wiggle Dress

Handmade Fabric Button Earrings

Sweet Little Children's Sundress

Handmade Vintage Inspired Earrings

 These are just a few of the many wonderful items at Shop Lucilles! Visit the link to check the rest!