Saturday, July 5, 2014

Areas in and/or around the Bay

Each time before I set off for a trip I always make big plans to take a zillion photos. It seems so easy to just take great photos of fun things that happen, but usually when I am seeing new things and having fun, the last thing I want to do is interrupt the moment to take a photo. That is why almost all of my photos are sans human beings. But, I did manage to take some photos of some of my favorite places we visited. 

Delores Park, day before pride. Packed with people, some completely bottomless.
We only went into San Francisco twice. The first was the day before Pride, also known as Pride weekend I think. It was packed and there was a lot of dancing in and around the mission. Lots of flare. 

We also got to visit the Exploratorium on the pier. The Exploratorium is an interactive science museum. Yeah, it's for kids, but we decided to go and for some reason we were disappointed to see so many kids. Don't get me wrong, I like kids, but there were a lot of kids. Unruly kids. Touching things.  The second we stepped into the building we both thought we were developing soar throats. Maybe it was another interactive science lesson about pyschosomatic disorder.

Truly amazing sculpture made entirely out of toothpicks and white glue.




We spent most of our time in Oakland, land of crime, as it is most commonly known. But in actuality, it is really beautiful. We discovered that most Oakland citizens want to keep Oakland's reputation negative. The way they see it, if everyone thinks its dangerous, then it will stay relatively quiet. Some neighborhoods are the most beautiful I have seen in a while. Other more vibrant streets still have a very small town feeling to them, and not to mention have great restaurants and shops. 

I'm sure it's just the time of year, but Oakland and Berkeley were covered in bright flowers.
I got to step into this cute vintage shop called Mercy Vintage Now.

The highlight of my trip to the Bay Area wasn't even in the bay area. We got to drive out to Lodi, CA to check in on an estate sale that was happening at an old barn/farmhouse. The farmhouse had been owned by the same family since 1870. Lots of antiques and vintage treasures. Don't worry, I managed to scoop some vintage for the shop.


Another highlight was the Conservatory of Flowers at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. The conservatory is in a fairly large old greenhouse in the middle of the park. The day we visited it was particularly foggy out, which made the photos kind of dreamy. 

The Conservatory of Flowers


zen

some flowers, and me. Of course, the only photo taken of me on this trip, and I am not even wearing and visible vintage. My bag and are vintage for the record, you just can't see them :/

more flowers
spooky greenhouse photo
Right after the Conservatory, we visited the Japanese Tea Garden further down the park and had some warm tea in the foggy day. 


We also got a little culture in at the Oakland Museum of Art. Meh. It was okay. I was tired that day.


Anyway, that is it for pictures. But I do have some pretty big news....

 I'M MOVING TO SAN FRANCISCO/BAY AREA!!!

Which means, BarnabyJack will be moving with me :)
Mike got a full time gig in Berkeley and we need to move ASAP.
The next few weeks will be a whirlwind of finding an apartment, moving furniture and being stressed. So BarnabyJack might be slowing down a bit as far as listing new items every day. But I will do my best. 

I am a bit nervous to move to a big city. Last time a lived in a big city was NYC six years ago. I gotta bust out the ol' street savy-ness pretty soon here.  BUT, I am confident and excited with the new changes to come. In fact, when we were walking through Oakland, we saw a little sign that maybe we were meant to be here...

"M+S" was carved in the concrete in the sidewalk in our dream neighborhood in Oakland. I do say that it was meant for Mike + Sara. 

See you soon East Bay.



I also want to thank those that have purchased items in these last two weeks a big THANK YOU for your patience. I will be sending your shipments out Monday morning FIRST THING. 

K thx baiiiiiii